Badlands Residency Day 10


March 31, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad!

I was up until 3am last night, working, so slept in a bit today. Hiked out back behind the quad with my painting stuff and spent a couple hours there in the morning, painting the area where I've fossil hunted and gone for night hikes. The weather is so amazing: I was in shorts and a tank top, it was just 10:30am, and I was hot. Got another sunburn out of it, too; I seem to be having trouble with my sunblock not working. At least it wasn't my face this time. Came back for a lunch of broccoli and mozzarella and then spent a few hours going through photographs and considering what path to take with my work.  I stretched another full sheet of paper and sketched out an outline for a painting.  It was too hot to really want to hike. For dinner the quad residents gathered outside and prepared a small feast. Salad with my homemade balsamic dijon dressing, grilled potatoes, cole slaw, hot dogs, turkey burgers, wine, beer, and more. While it was all cooking, Sara and I hiked up the butte behind her apartment to grab the trash can that blew up there with the wind storm last week. Sara, Ryan, Tricia, John, Steven, and I all ate together listening to some Bowie and other things. After dinner we headed back to the Wagon Wheel for their rocky mountain oyster festival (if you must know, yes, I partook, and they are rather like deep fried chicken gizzards). It was hopping down there! Just got back, and Sara and I are planning an early hike to beat tomorrow's heat. Should be well into the 80s again. I'm going to post this and get some sleep for a change.  I didn't do much exploring today, so I'm just posting photos of where I live.


The south side of the quad, my apartment is circled.

Inside my apartment, facing south toward the front door.
Facing north west, back door by the kitchen.
View out my front door/window.  This is the quad.
Looking left out the front door (southeast), the butte back
there is where Sara and I climbed to retrieve the trash can.
View out my back door.  That's Angel Butte in the middle.
Looking left (west).
Looking right (east) towards the area where I painted today
and took fossil walks and night hikes.

Comments

  1. I've been trying to check in every couple days and see how your doing! I've not been to Badlands and have really enjoyed reading your entries on the fossils and natural history. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay and I can't wait to see your finished pieces! Katie Santini

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment