Badlands Residency Day 5


March 26, 2012

It was a low key day today. Spent the morning working on updating this blog, doing laundry, and organizing my stuff in the apartment. Real exciting. Spent some time talking to Steven, the photographer who is also here for a residency. We kicked around some ideas of places and weather to photograph, me for painting, him for working with to create a final piece. Worked some more on a painting I started a few nights ago. Sticking fairly close to my typical studio painting style. A little quicker, a little looser, but nothing like plein air. Will post it here when it's done. Around dinner time I headed out for a hike, see previous post. Came back and fixed dinner while watching Gary and Francesco (Calhoun teachers) frolic in the high winds on one of the formations close to the housing area. Gary, a poet, was artist-in-residence here back in 2003 and has been wanting to come back ever since. He is so thrilled to get a storm during their stay! I managed to get internet access again so also spent time updating this with yesterday's post while I ate. I plan to paint more when done here, but Sara offered to maybe come outside again to watch the storms if they keep rolling in, so I may end up doing that instead. Either way, a pretty nice life.


Comments

  1. Wow Jessica, quite an update, took me awhile to read everything and check out the photos. Love the creek, brings back many memories. I envy the storms you guys had, darn. (I'm going to go storm chasing in the mid-west one of these summers). And, at least for the first day or two, you've been quite busy, lots of people coming and going. So much for my original vision of a lonely cabin on the prairie, with the young artist painting the landscape in solitude for six weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica, reading your blog is so interesting. It's a history/geography lesson come alive. I think its a good idea to check out everything you can, then you'll really have a great feel for the area when you begin painting. It's such a different life...no responsibilities except what you ask of yourself. Enjoy! DK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment