A Visit to Joshua Tree National Park (Day 4)


For my last day in the park I hiked around the trail at Split Rock and ended up crossing paths with a desert tortoise.  I had been hoping to see one, knowing it was not likely, and then on the last hike of the visit I nearly stepped on one.  He tucked into his shell, I backed off, and then waited.  He poked his head out, we watched each other for a while, then he decided it was safe to come back out and head on his way down the trail.  It's impossible to spend too long watching a tortoise.  They are fantastic creatures, full of personality.

At Split Rock.


Closeup of weathering tree remains.


Face Rock

Yucca bloom getting ready to open.

More desert blooms.

Another lizard, species unknown.

The trail.



Large dyke formation.

Distant view.

Tortoise!

Checking each other out.

Checking surroundings.

Good to get going again!
  



Spherical rock.

Last series of joshua tree photos.





Comments