Joshua Tree National Park - Artist in Residence Day 12




Hike to Willow Hole

I slept in just a little today, made some espresso, and spent a couple hours on work before getting ready to head for good hike.  Today's destination was Willow Hole, accessed off Boy Scout Trail, a seven mile trek into the heart of the Wonderland of Rocks, the area north of Park Blvd that's filled with monzogranite formations.  With my little side explorations and stops for photos, it took me just a bit more than four hours.  The trail is reasonably easy, starting off across the desert, then following washes to Willow Hole, which is above Rattlesnake Canyon and Indian Cove, a spot I've hiked to from the other side.  There is a connecting path that makes for a nice, long, one-way hike, but alas I have just the one car.  There was another hiker on the trail, we took turns passing each other, he had a full pack and was making that hike.  Willow Hole indeed has many willows, and clearly sees a good amount of moisture, though today the mud was dry, the flies were still active, grasses grow in abundance, and the air has a tinge of rotting plant smell.  All together, it made this area feel like being briefly transported to another ecosystem.

Returning home, I started some laundry, fixed dinner, and spent an hour painting the edges of two of the canvases of the collaborative paintings, one of the last finishing touches they needed.  Then came the very length process of downloading images off camera and phone, made longer tonight by the fact that I have now filled the 128GB SD card in my phone.  Yikes.  Will have to make time soon to ensure that everything is double backed up, then clear some space for the next hike.


Starting out on Boy Scout Trail.


It's definitely a sparse year for the spring bloom, but there are some flowers to be found.  Woolly Marigold, I believe.

I can't find this tiny plant in my guidebooks, will have to hunt for a name.

Another I can't find, looks close to malacothrix glabrata, but not quite.

I'm on a roll, another to look up.

Another hiker, headed to Willow Hole and beyond.

A dense assortment of flowering plants.

Prickly Pear, but no flowers yet.


Mojave Mound Cactus.

Yucca framing a silver cholla.

Rushing water has carved some fascinating shapes in the rock.


A wide spot in the wash, but still a ways to go.

Blooming Parry Nolina.






More and more vegetation at this point, getting closer.


Looking up a tall boulder pile.


Grasses growing from the crack in a rock.

A last big opening in the wash, up and to the right leads under the willows.

 

Willow Hole.

Heading back through the willows for the return trip.

Such a gorgeous area.


A couple barrel cacti making a home on the rocks.

The wash narrows.



More great erosion shapes.


It's a blurry photo, but sharing anyway.  I accidentally startled this red tailed hawk who had been hanging out in a Joshua tree.


Yet another plant to look up.

On all my hikes I've noticed an abundance of what looks like a dense cobweb or large, loosely woven cucoon.  For the first time, I found evidence of what it is.

I forgot to bring my bird books.  I don't think this is a cactus wren, coloring looks different.


Life and death in the Wonderland of Rocks.

Cactus wren, I think, on top of a Joshua tree.

Not sure I've seen this plant before, another to check.

Mojave Mound Cactus blooms.

A delicate purple flower vining up a yucca.  Another species to find.





Comments