Joshua Tree National Park - Artist in Residence Day 18


Covington Crest Trail and Lone Tree Hill

I've long enjoyed driving out to Covington Flats and the viewpoint near Eureka Peak, but I've never made the time for a real hike.  Today was the day.  On the drive out, I caught sight of a bird soaring high up.  I found a pullout and grabbed my telephoto lens for some shots before continuing on to the back country trail head.  I thought it was a red tailed hawk, but that was from a distance.  Looking at my photos tonight, I think it may be a golden eagle.  Going to have to send these to my birding friends for confirmation, I forgot to bring my birding books.

I hiked the Covington Crest Trail to the end, which offers magnificent views into East Deception Canyon with the Santa Rose mountains rising in the distance above the Coachella Valley.  While standing at the crest, a shadow moved across my body.  I looked up to see a large bird riding the thermals, right overhead.  I'm fairly certain it was the same species of bird I saw earlier.  It was hard to leave this viewpoint, but I wanted to make the hike to Lone Tree Hill as well, so headed back down the trail a ways before branching off to the hill.  Aptly named, Lone Tree Hill has a single, branchless Joshua tree.  The view from up here was just as splendid, with Mt. San Gorgonio clearly visible.  Eventually I made my way back down the trail to my car, and made my way home.  This is a fantastic, reasonably easy hike that I would recommend to anyone.  I didn't see a single soul out there, and judging by the quality of the footprints in the sand, I was the only hiker here today.

Back home, I made some dinner and began the long process of downloading images from the day and choosing some to publish here.  It's amazing how fast a few hours flies by when working with photos.

Thinking this is a Golden Eagle, if you know for certain, please comment.


Working backwards, this is the view from the end of the trail.

East Deception Canyon

Santa Rosa mountains above the Coachella Valley.

Stumbled upon this little trinket someone left behind up here.

 
Lone Tree Hill

Hiking over to Lone Tree Hill

Blooming Cactus.

Atop Lone Tree Hill with its namesake.

Panorama, looking out over the Coachella Valley, Santa Rosa Mountains with Mt. San Jacinto, and San Bernardino Mountains with Mt. San Gorgonio.

Panorama in the other direction, looking out over Covington Flats.

San Gorgonio and the San Bernardino Mountains.


Heading back down the hill, looking out over Covington Flats.

Cactus bud, unsure of the species.

Following the trail as it meanders through the flats.

One of many rocks dotting the landscape; the way this one was split reminded me, from a distance, of a dinosaur egg.  Maybe I've watched too much Jurassic Park...

Wildlife trail crossing human trail.




There are some enormous, very old Joshua Trees out here.



A view along the drive back out of Covington Flats.

This is the kind of driving I love to do.  Just gorgeous out here today.

Back to civilization, the road rises high above the surrounding towns, with sweeping views of the San Bernardinos.  Clouds block the view of San Gorgonio.


Comments